News:

Welcome GSX1400 enthusiasts !

Main Menu

Bike rebuild

Started by Idh, Tuesday, 16 April 2024, 06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idh

Evening all.

I have decided my Bertha needs some TLC. Tank is scratched and dented, frame is rusting, so needs a total strip down.
So I thought I would start this post. Thought it may be of interest and I can ask questions as I go.
Looking for some advice as to what to do with the rear shocks.
Asked 2 suspension refurb companies and neither will touch them.
So think I will just blast and powercoat the springs and clean up.

Hang the expense!
Put another pea in the soup!

Andre

Looking forward to this. Always great to see a 14 being rejuvenated.

As to the shocks, I got some YSS RG342. Quite pleased with them. Based on the recommendation of a former race mechanic for Honda and Suzuki. Ample spareparts for them and a very helpful technical support in their european center in the Netherlands, that answered detailed questions pertaining how to rebuild them. And these shocks were just a bit more € than what I paid to get the oem done at a suspension shop.

Pretty safe to assume that yours need a rebuild or a replacement.

Someone here might chime in with a suspension shop recommendation that still does them.

gsxbarmy

@Idh Have you tried Maxton's for rebuilding your suspension - they used to do a lot of rebuilds others would not touch a few years ago

https://www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk/

Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Idh

Thanks Barmy, just mailed them

Ian
Hang the expense!

Idh

Quote from: Andre on Tuesday, 16 April  2024, 07:41 AMLooking forward to this. Always great to see a 14 being rejuvenated.

As to the shocks, I got some YSS RG342. Quite pleased with them. Based on the recommendation of a former race mechanic for Honda and Suzuki. Ample spareparts for them and a very helpful technical support in their european center in the Netherlands, that answered detailed questions pertaining how to rebuild them. And these shocks were just a bit more € than what I paid to get the oem done at a suspension shop.

Pretty safe to assume that yours need a rebuild or a replacement.

Someone here might chime in with a suspension shop recommendation that still does them.
Thanks mate, will look at costs!
Hang the expense!

Hooli

I think the problem with shock rebuilds is there's a custom sized O-ring they can't get anymore. I'm sure someone once posted on here about that when they were told why the places couldn't fix their shocks.

Idh

Quote from: Hooli on Tuesday, 16 April  2024, 09:48 PMI think the problem with shock rebuilds is there's a custom sized O-ring they can't get anymore. I'm sure someone once posted on here about that when they were told why the places couldn't fix their shocks.

Thanks mate.

Just taken the springs off and given the shocks a clean. There is no sign of leakage.  None of the adjusters will move, but I haven't moved them in the 13 years I gave had her, so decided to blast and powdercoat the springs, tidy the paint and leave as is. Can always get new ones later.
Hang the expense!

Idh

And the fun begins!

Frame freshly coated.

Hang the expense!

Idh

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Tuesday, 16 April  2024, 08:08 AM@Idh Have you tried Maxton's for rebuilding your suspension - they used to do a lot of rebuilds others would not touch a few years ago

https://www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk/

Just for info, they no longer do them as they can't get the parts.

Hang the expense!

Idh

Quote from: Hooli on Tuesday, 16 April  2024, 09:48 PMI think the problem with shock rebuilds is there's a custom sized O-ring they can't get anymore. I'm sure someone once posted on here about that when they were told why the places couldn't fix their shocks.

Yes, that's what they are all saying.
Hang the expense!

BbigMmac

Respect , big project.  :worshippy:

Idh

Quote from: BbigMmac on Today at 04:14 AMRespect , big project.  :worshippy:
Thanks.
Just got to be careful on the budget. Not trying to make her mint, just loved.
So trying to clean and refurb rather than replace.
Hang the expense!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk