News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Big Heavy Wobbler

Started by kanerdog1X1, Friday, 19 January 2018, 06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kanerdog1X1

I had been talking to Alex at Torques about designing a better dry break for a while, since I got the previous set. He had some samples made earlier in aluminium but we still needed to improve upon the design, and the final items arrived in July 2016. Here's the last drawing:-

Here are the variations he caries now

And yes, the banjos are titanium. :)

kanerdog1X1

I had HEL make me up some revised brake hoses, this was all they needed:-

As the hoses arrived

And fitted up

kanerdog1X1

Redid the fork seals and used SKF seals. Had to machine my tool slightly as the SKF seal is a different profile.

Its a little bit mickey mouse but i got a koso temp gauge so i can keep an eye on the temps.

plumbed in to the oil gallery

kanerdog1X1

Again, naff all happened over the winter, and I only got the urge to ride when the sun came out this year. First ride was in march.

I did however have a new oil cooler to fit.

It needed a mesh cover, so i trimmed one out.

kanerdog1X1

From a suggestion from a couple of other high end interweb users, I managed to source some of the very desireable 1/4 x1/4 welded stainless mesh.

From this i was planning to make a silver soldered assembly, but it didn't go completely to plan.

First attempt:-

All good so far. Then some practice joins

Still all good. I'm quite happy at this point.

Disaster. too hot. Gonna have to rethink this.

kanerdog1X1

Second try. Same wire frame to begin with.

But lock wire on instead of soldered.

Perfect! And still clearance.

kanerdog1X1

And the very last thing I did was to fit the new brake levers I had.

They had been lurking in the tool box since 2012, but I never got around to getting them painted satin, like the rest of the lever.

So, this is it. Possibly time to let go.

Mick_J

What a fantastic job, when I first saw it advertised for £8k I thought you were having a laugh, but now I think it's a fair price.  Whoever buys it will be getting a very special bike, brilliant.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

seth

some top quality work and parts  :onya:
best ad ever to show everything done to this bike.

good luck matt and remember you don't have to leave the org when you sell the bike I'm sure there will be folk asking your advice for a long time to come .
:hat: :salute:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

grog

ive seen a lot of mods/restores. yours is by far the best. your talent and thinking just enormous. no praise high enough. incredible.

lil4399

Incredible.

Too incredible.

My thoughts of my being good doing my own servicing and gentle mechanics are blown apart.

After this thread I am developing an inferiority complex.

It's lunchtime here in France, where's the wine.....

:bugga:
If you are going to run out of fuel, do it in your garage.

It's only a short walk to the kettle.

Andre

Mister Fishfinger

The fabrication is amazing but it's the welding that tops it off for me. It's beautiful.

Kiwifruit

G'day Matt. Having had some involvement with championship winning bikes and racecars, I see race engineering as art. You are certainly an artist.
Thanks for detailing the work you have done on your bike for us all to see.  :onya:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

VladTepes

Truly awe inspiring mate. Thank you for recreating the thread for us here - a lot of work I know:)

Quote from: lil4399 on Sunday, 21 January  2018, 08:56 PM
It's lunchtime here in France, where's the wine.....

Sorry I always finish the wine at breakfast time.
For reference - muesli is best matched by a sweet white, but not a dessert wine (that's an amateur mistake ) :lol:
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk