News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

Quote from: Hooli on Sunday, 18 August  2019, 04:15 AM
I did a few more bits on my 14 today, it's almost ready for the Alps again now.

Front wheel bearings replaced, they felt fine but were obviously about due.
Front brakes rebuilt, just a little bit of sludge in the calipers.
Redid the wiring to the fuel pump & sender under the tank. I'd replaced the multiplug years ago when the contacts when mouldy, but I'd only insulation taped it all up as that was all I had at the time & needed it for work. I've redone it neater with heat shrink now & fixed the broken earth lead to the sender.
The low pressure fuel pipe under the tank got replaced too as it's just started to fail.
Clutch fluid changed too.

Oh & I washed it!

Short test run tomorrow followed by an oil n flter change & she's ready.

To update this, I did a small* test run today to check it rode properly after all ther work. Feck me it's going quick again now, those bearings might have felt ok but they must have been dragging a bit. Add to that brakes that work & it's feeling like new again. Nearly 190miles without refueling too, it's got the first bar flashing & as I did a lot of back roads it's the best it's been on fuel for years. Handles a lot better again too which is nice.

KiwiCol

Cleaned & lubed 2 chains, checked the throttle balances on the black, all fine. Checked the batterys & charging system on both. no problems there.
Put the Yoshi back on the blue & the Delkevic carbon back on the black.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

northern

Did 300+ km ride today.
After: wash, wax, blacked black parts :)

T250

Adjusted TB's and checked both TPS and STPS, all in spec, hopefully go for a rdie tonight as there is a local bike meet...weather permitting of course... :rolleyes: this country just needs a roof... :happy1:

Hooli

Oil n filter change & filled the Scotoiler, oh yeah n checked the tyre pressures. That's my 14 ready for europe, I just need to pack for me now.

Dusty ST

Failed to loosen the nut on the front sprocket... swinging on a 1/2" drive, 600mm breaker bar!
Going to borrow an impact wrench, and have another go...
'02 GSX1400 K2
'08 1050 Sprint ST (RIP :( )
'17 1050 Tiger Sport

KiwiCol

Hooli

Quote from: KiwiCol on Tuesday, 20 August  2019, 05:44 AM
I bet some lovely chap has put red loctite on it

Can't be too careful....

The nut came loose on mine when it still had the factory front sprocket.

Speedy1959

Dusty
As I found out when renewing my sprockets you WILL need an impact driver.
I enden up buying one from Screwfix.
It removed the sprocket bolt in 5 seconds !!

KiwiCol

Quote from: Speedy1959 on Tuesday, 20 August  2019, 07:37 AM
Dusty
Did you still have the chain on at that stage & lock up the rear brake? or did it just take it off without restraint of the sprocket?
@Speedy1959

GSX1400Convert

My bike is on a ship somewhere near Hong Kong ATM.
But I have been planning on some changes when it comes home.

I'm thinking of shortening a pair of 85GSXR rear peg mounts I have floating around, so I can carry a pillion again.
You can see why the original ones don't fit.

The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there's no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Snapey

With nothing to do on the 14's today I decided it was about time to start on the CL350.
If you look like your passport photo then you're too sick to travel.

Dusty ST

Dusty

I'm hoping to borrow an impact driver, if it works and I like it I will probably go buy one, what did you go for?

Not sure what make/model I'm going to borrow, but the owner says it can be a bit hit and miss, as in sometimes it won't shift car wheel nuts.
I'm guessing the other thing I could do to is lock the chain so I'm pushing against something solid rather than the squidgy cush drive, there's a You Tube vid by Delboys Garage that shows wrapping the chain around the wheel axle and poking a screwdriver through to lock it off.
'02 GSX1400 K2
'08 1050 Sprint ST (RIP :( )
'17 1050 Tiger Sport

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Dusty ST on Tuesday, 20 August  2019, 05:50 PM
Dusty

I'm hoping to borrow an impact driver, if it works and I like it I will probably go buy one, what did you go for?

Not sure what make/model I'm going to borrow, but the owner says it can be a bit hit and miss, as in sometimes it won't shift car wheel nuts.
I'm guessing the other thing I could do to is lock the chain so I'm pushing against something solid rather than the squidgy cush drive, there's a You Tube vid by Delboys Garage that shows wrapping the chain around the wheel axle and poking a screwdriver through to lock it off.

You could also try jamming an old towel in-between the sprocket and the chain.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

grog

Dusty, i have a couple of air powered impact guns, 1/2 inch rattle guns i call them. They both work really well. 5 yrs ago i bought 18v Ryobi gun. Today it still works perfectly, needs 4 amp battery.Mustve undone over 2000 wheel nuts with it, removes front sprocket nut easily. They say Chinese Ryobi is inferior to Milwaukee/Snap On, Not what ive found.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk