GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

New bike / Next bike. Poor options.

Started by Tony Nitrous, Sunday, 22 October 2017, 07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Nitrous

Looking at a new bike for next year.
Several new bikes mentioned in other threads,
GSX-S, Z900 etc but none really excite me.

Maybe its just me but I can't find anything that ticks all (or even most)
of the box's that I either want, like or need.

As a bit of background, the bikes I normally take an interest in are...
GSX1100ET/EX/EZ/ESD
GSX1000/1100 Katana
GSX1135E
GSXR1100 Slabsider / Slingshot
GSF1200 Bandit
GS1200SS
Inazuma 1200
GSX1400
GSX1300 B-King
Gen-1 / Gen-2 1300 Hayabusa.

..... but what's in a showroom now?

Busa is OK, but I prefer naked and the Gen-2 is well overdue to be updated.
Not a fan of the 1250 Blandit.
I don't mind the alternative Busa, the ZX14R though.

I'd like a big bore, naked bike, not restricted or detuned,
Sportsbike spec running gear, USD front, radial brakes, 17"x6" rear, monoshock etc, and a comfy seat and a 21+ltr tank range.
That sounds like a winning combination, yet no one seems to make one.

Not interested in Euro bikes or cruisers, shaft drive or odd size wheels.
Just want a modern, useable, big bore Jap naked bike.

Tony Nitrous

Options at the moment seem to be.....

# Buy a Gen-2 Busa, have a fairing and raise the bars.

# Buy a ZX14R and go away from naked Suzuki's.

# Hope there's a Gen-3 Hayabusa.

# Buy the cleanest GSX14 I can find and do the full system / PC111,
Jack up kit, PAIR's, radial USD front end mod's (but I don't want another project)

VladTepes

There will be a Gen3 busa in the next year or so BUT it will be interesting to see whether mortals can afford it....

Totally agree that a naked Gen-3 Busa with a good riding position (more b-King than Busa like), decent size tank, comfotable seat for TWO.
Well that would be a winner for sure.

s  there a particular reason for wanting a new bike now ?! rather than in a year or so?

You would be able to pick up a GSX1400 with most of that work already done, I would imagine, with only the hard part (front end) needing to be done...

Then when you eventually get a Gen3 'busa you can sell the flashed up 1400 to me...    :laugh:
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Tony Nitrous

I have a little money coming Dec 15th next year.
Some of it will pay for a new bike.

My newest bikes are both 2007 / 2008.
B-King and GSX1400.

I'd like something new and less abused and unmolested again !

Just looking around now, if I find something ideal I might buy sooner.

Suzuki are overdue a Gen-3 Busa.
I wouldn't expect it to be silly money.
They have always shifted huge numbers in the US and around the world because its never been a H2/H2R unaffordable novelty item.

If a Gen-3 was anything like a Gen-1 or 2 then changing bars, seats and footpegs will be common, affordable and popular mods.

Ross

https://www.motorcycle-magazine.com/new-hayabusa-update-not-2019-earliest/

I struggle to find something that ticks all the boxes too Tony.
I was keen on the MT10 until I spoke to a few owners who reckon the range is only 160-180Ks.
I agree with you that the Jap bikes are a big preference but I will look at the KTM1290GT as time goes by to see if they prove more reliable than anything to date. The local KTM dealer posted on Facebook that a client just had a 150k service done on a 1290 Super Adv that has had no issues and still going strong. We'll see.

grog

same boat, nothing i really like. i like the new bonnies with 1200 motor but again tiny fuel tanks. gen 3 busa out soon. doesnt the big bike release show happen this week, not sure.

Kiwifruit

Just shows that what we have is hard to replace with whats on offer in the new bike showroom.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

grog

two yrs ago i did the test ride thing. aprillia, guzzi, bmw, mv. none of them for me. mt07 and 09, not for me. never tried a kawa or honda. gsx1000 i had an hour on. out of all of them i liked xjr1300 yam the best. nice bike, superb brakes. compared to 14 rather well. no storage, no 6th gear. no looks, no buy. couldnt see any advantage except it was new. id like its front brakes on mine.

Tony Nitrous

I'd still like to see the specs, horsepower / torque / tank size etc,
but I'm pretty sure this is going to be a "no" for me...

Tony Nitrous

Irish in Oz

What does it matter what you think, some will like it, and it may be cheaper than what some think their old one's are worth.

Andre

82,0 kW (111 PS) bei 8.500 U/min
98,5 Nm (10,0 mkp) bei 6.500 U/min
6 gears
Tank 17 liters
Weight (filled up) 215 kg
Fork fully adjustable
Rear shock preload and rebound adjustable
Front tire 120/70ZR17 M/C (58W)
Rear tire 180/55ZR17 M/C (73W)

Irish in Oz

I get pissed off on fuel stops and Snapey will confirm this, so what is the problem with small tanks, I ride with new bikes and they use less fuel than the 14, most towns in Oz are only 150 k's a part. Servo's everywhere. 14 can pull 400 riding easy, but we usually refuel max 300.
All the other figures look good for a 900, main difference from a Zepyher is the tyre size.

Tony Nitrous

17ltr tank, and compared to the model its based on it is longer, heavier and less powerful. So its just a soft version of a current model.

That plastic tail and coat of paint are certainly getting folk excited....  :happy1:

grog

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk