News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Difficulty finding neutral

Started by VladTepes, Monday, 14 January 2019, 10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiCol

Just shift a bit more 'positively'.  If it continues to happen, try adjusting the gear lever down a bit - closer to your boot.

I think the false neutral is mostly caused (barring mechanical issues) by a 'light' upshift - not quite going the full distance, adjusting the lever down moves it closer to your boot & requires less movement from your foot to get the correct travel.

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Kiwifruit

For more feel. Ride in bare feet or jandals  :facepalm: :facepalm:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

ARH

Quote from: Kiwifruit on Tuesday, 15 January  2019, 04:36 AM
For more feel. Ride in bare feet or jandals  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Don't forget the shorts and T shirt for that 'full on' experience!

Milts

Quote from: VladTepes on Monday, 14 January  2019, 10:32 AM
This morning at the lights...

1-2-1-2-1-2-1-N

Happened like this several times (but not every time).

Anyone got any ideas on what may be causing this?

You're not riding in your dance shoes by any chance?.............     Sorry bud    :doh:

VladTepes

@gsxbarmy @Kiwifruit @seth Thank you. Looks as if I'll need to find the relevant section in the workshop manual to make sense of that !  :)

Quote from: KiwiCol on Monday, 14 January  2019, 06:06 PM
Different shoes / boots?
Quote from: MiltsYou're not riding in your dance shoes by any chance?.............     
No but if you send me yours, I'll try 'em if it'll help.  :whistling:

Quote from: KiwiCol
Shifting too fast to find neutral?

Oil cold (in Aussie??) n basket sticking? till it warms up

Too fast? No mate, shifting slowly, in attempt to find neutral.
Oil cold? In an Aussie summer?   :happy1:

Quote from: KiwiCol on Tuesday, 15 January  2019, 02:30 AM
Just shift a bit more 'positively'.  If it continues to happen, try adjusting the gear lever down a bit - closer to your boot.

I think the false neutral is mostly caused (barring mechanical issues) by a 'light' upshift - not quite going the full distance, adjusting the lever down moves it closer to your boot & requires less movement from your foot to get the correct travel.

Isn't a false neutral when its shows a neutral light, but isn't?

This is an actual difficulty in getting the box into neutral at times.

Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

KiwiCol

Quote from: KiwiCol on Tuesday, 15 January  2019, 02:30 AM

Mike,  this reply was for Taniwha, it follows his question but it's on a new page.

KiwiCol

I understood a false neutral was getting the gear change 'stuck' between gear selection, so that you end up without any gear at all, the engine revs soon let ya know though . . .   bit of a flick upwards & you're off again.  No neutral light comes up - red face does though, much the same as reaching for 7th.

grog

Vlad, not about false neutrals, just finding real neutral, correct? Any prob with motor off? If ok with motor off, clutch is dragging. Simple.

VladTepes

Not sure - seems to be working OK again. If it recurs I'll see if there's a difference between engine off or running.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

GEORGE

Do you use semi-synthetic or fully synthetic oil?
That happened with cold or hot engine?

VladTepes

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Hooli

Quote from: VladTepes on Wednesday, 16 January  2019, 09:27 AM
Not sure - seems to be working OK again. If it recurs I'll see if there's a difference between engine off or running.

Crap clutch action causing it to be hard to find N & clutch slip when first riding off on mine was the first sign that the slave cylinder was caked up with crud. Cleaning it out fixed it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk