News:

Welcome GSX1400 enthusiasts !

Main Menu

Engine swap

Started by Mrg, Sunday, 27 January 2019, 08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrg

Hi guys as you might know I've got a 02 blue and white and my old 51 plate , the white is on the road and the blue is sorn , white has 67 on the clock  blue has 34 .so my thinking is I'd like to swap blue engine for the white and sell the white after putting it back on the road

Things I am asking
Engine change so do I change the clocks over because of the digital mileage
Do I need to change the ecu ,s over as well

Just trying to get a feel as to how much I have to do I'd like my old blue engine in the white as it's low mileage and a very good runner , the white has no issues but higher mileage that's all really  many thanks for any info help on this guys and thank you 😊
look check and look again  then you see the fool

Mick_J

I would swap clocks over so you cant be accused of cheating but the ECU should be the same and don't have the immobiliser but you will have to change your log book details over with the DVLA.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

gsxbarmy

@Mrg Rather than swap the engines over - why don't you just swap the tank and rear cowel and wheels over (assuming the blue has black wheels), the white becomes blue and vice versa - and then just get the colour of each bike in the logbook changed by DVLA (cost is zero for this). No engine change necessary and you wouldn't have to swap the clocks either.

The main issue you have is what the MOT and it's mileage history reads (as that is printed on each MOT certificate) as with swapping the engines against registrations gives you that issue. Swapping the bodywork would mean that you achieve what you want to do quite easily without having to worry about MOT history, as mileage stays the same - all you are doing is swapping the colour of the bike by changing the bodywork and wheels over.

And achieve it a lot quicker - tank, rear cowl and wheels - sorted. You just need to keep the relevant discs each side for the wheels on the bike they are now, likewise the rear sprocket needs to remain with current bike.

So task list would read:
- Swap Tank
- Swap Rear Cowl
- Swap side panels (as on the blue that has GSX1400 on the side panel, but not on the white)
- swap front wheels, swapping the discs over as well
- swap rear wheel (keeping the rear sprocket on its current bike)
- advise DVLA of colour change of each bike

Sorted!

Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

seth

As @gsxbarmy
says so much easier to swop the bodywork and wheels .
Then just change the paperwork with the DVLA as you'd still need to do this if you swopped the motors/ecu/clocks between models anyway .
:onya:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Del

you can swap clocks without changing the ECU - I did with my bike as the original clocks read speed in MPH but mileage recorded in KPH
All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

Mrg

Yes guys I really didn't think of that to do and less work   And the age difference is nothing at all so I think I am going down the change over of the body parts , put the old one back on the road and sell her  thank you guys
Always a different angle to be seen by asking other for there input  :onya:
look check and look again  then you see the fool

Teufel

I put an 08 motor in an 02 bike for a friend.
I didn't change anything and it ran first time using the original 02 ecu.
It's quite simple and straight forward really.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk