News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Del

Bike up on Abba stand - removed all the plastics - removed teh old shocks - removed the swingarm

Cleaned all the crud and checked the frame touching in any chipped paint - fitted new swingarm and Hagon shocks - greased and cleaned

Tomorrow - tank off and then rebuild the struts

Photos to follow  :onya:

All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

froudy

Notty popped in to see me this morning..Good to meet you :onya:

Someone had previously butchered the front disc bolts trying to remove them. He tried three different places and none were remotely interested in helping him get them out. I said to bring them over to me as he doesn't live far away.
About half an hour and the three remaining bolts came straight out..No problem.
I also replaced the teabag filter on his fuel pump.
A successful hours work. I like it when everything goes to plan :grin:
My bike got a wash too.

PS. As requested.A photo of Notty standing by the DRZ400 :imrgreen:
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

Del

Today forks stripped and cleaned - all new bushings and seals - hopefully this is the end of the right hand fork leaking - downpipes cleaned while forks off and again more crud removed  -

will hopefully got it all back together tomorrow

All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

seth

washed both bikes
then we went gor a run around fife had icecream in st andrews then home washed the bikes again and relax .
bloody cold but good to be on the bike again .
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Hooli

Quote from: Del on Monday, 12 February  2018, 02:41 AM
Today forks stripped and cleaned - all new bushings and seals - hopefully this is the end of the right hand fork leaking - downpipes cleaned while forks off and again more crud removed  -

will hopefully got it all back together tomorrow

Mine didn't stop weeping till I got them rechromed, but then they did have 100k of wear in all weathers.

northern

Today I f... up.

Was checking my valve clearance after Yoshis install and shims replacement. I was not happy with results, and deside to do it over. Some shims on intake were switch, and I decide to puit cams back, to do another measurements... But then I deside to do another turn a crankshaft while chain teesionnr was of... I was thinking, I can manage it...  :facepalm:
It doesn't work out...

I decide to take camshafts out and holding chain in hand, do a give crankshaft a full turn. It doesn't work out either...  :doh:

So as the result, cams chain stuck as on picture and I'm unable to free it or spin the crankshaft, course unfortunately crankshaft turns only clockwise...

So my decision was take a brake and think about possible solution. Any advice are welcome, course I really do not want take engine totally apart.

seth

you should be able to free it off anf re-aline everything if you remove the cams ,camchsin tendioner and front camchain tension blade( that should let you free up the cam chain)get the cam chain sorted and refit the removed parts and then retry to get all the marks to line up in the correct places.
just go nice and easy take your time and it'll be ok.

Sethbot Postwhore

northern

@seth
Thank you for advice.
Reading service and Hynes manuals also make me think, removing front guide blade will help me to solve the chain issue... Will try this tomorrow.

seth

I'm sure thats what's locking the cam chain just take your time and relax small steps at a time and you'll be fine.

Sethbot Postwhore

grog

youll un jam it mate. get the cams out so no valve damage. main thing to do. then just play around until chain comes free. it will. start again then.

froudy

Just took mine for its MOT.

Passed with no advisories :boogie:
We agreed that my pillion pegs WERE fitted at the time of the test and also that it had the full size number plate fitted :imrgreen:

Due to my two operations last year I only did 4153 miles since the last MOT!!

seth

now your getting back to fitness there'll be no stopping you  :boogie:
its great having a good fair mot tester who will keep you right but not get petty .

Sethbot Postwhore

Stolichnaya

So, not quite what ive done but just to say that my GSX14 left on Saturday for a bit of long overdue work.  Will be a good few weeks before I can post up[ any results but hopefully its going to look a tad "fresher"

Front end is coming out, new seals all round, new oil..new adjusters....  complete refurb.
Swing arm out and rejigged.
As much Ally as possible will be stripped and sent for Powder.
As many nuts & bolts as I can see on show that are a bit tawdry will be replaced. 

I'm looking at also leaving off the rear footrest hangers and having made some very small exhaust hangers to replace old ones.  that will need some thought as the  newish custom made Y Pipe and 2 Delcavik's need to be supported somehow. 

Watch this space for not a big difference in terms of spec but a nice refurb
Stoli
I have 4 bikes and 1 wife - why can't all 5 shut up when I take a key out

lets have some noise.... MY GSX14 Noise... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ6OiT0dngg

froudy

@Stolichnaya

Beowulf do stainless can hangers for the 1400.
The only issue you might have is at MOT time. If you remove the rear pegs it HAS to be a single seat bike. My tester is sensible though and lets it go :onya:

http://www.beowulfuk.com/proddetail.asp?prod=EXHBSU009

froudy

Quote from: seth on Tuesday, 13 February  2018, 02:53 AM
now your getting back to fitness there'll be no stopping you  :boogie:
its great having a good fair mot tester who will keep you right but not get petty .

Thanks @seth  :onya:

Yes, it's good to be riding again even though it's cold and the roads are caked in salt n sh*t :grin:

My MOT tester is great. The first time I went to him with my Bandit he went through it with a fine tooth comb and I thought what a jobs worth. Now that we know each other, he's great. He knows I keep my bikes up together and doesn't make a big issue of things like loud exhaust and smaller than legal plate. He just says "Oh, you changed that when you got home didn't you" :imrgreen:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk