News:

Welcome GSX1400 enthusiasts !

Main Menu

Most likely banned

Started by mikesaa309, Sunday, 19 May 2019, 02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesaa309

Stupid "safety" camera van caught me doing 66 in a temporary 40 mph limit on a dual carriageway. Of course there's no excuse for speeding (can give a few excuses non that the law will care about though) but I like to get past vehicles in the left lane before the road merges into single lane due to road works. Now I know you'll probably be thinking "how didn't you see the van" but shall post photos from helmet camera and you can tell me if you can spot the camera van: https://photos.app.goo.gl/R3VWTQxZN2Ejaq4B8

As you can see from the photos the traffic in the left lane blocked my view at first then as I started passing them the truck far head was obscuring the van, as you can see from the fourth photo the van clocked me doing 66 mph roughly at the time I had just past that van just before the box truck. By the time I would have seen it, it was too late. Also one of those things you could miss if you're not purposely looking out for it, stationary vehicle is less of a danger than moving traffic in the left lane and traffic further ahead for example. I did clock the van shortly after the truck moved past it and slowed down but far too late by this point. I stupidly pulled back into slow lane after passing the traffic, I should have just stayed in the right lane and let the vehicles in the left lane obscure my number plate from the front facing camera on the van  :frustrated:

Anyway bit annoyed that I'll most likely receive a ban. Agree there's no excuse for speeding at least not in the eyes of the law but think speeding should be handled differently than what it is. For example if I was doing that speed in a 40 zone in a town then I could except the ban more as it's a town area with lots of dangers. Yes the limit is the limit and yes there were road works but at the point after the camera van there is a 200 yard sign before the lane merges to one and the road works start in which I wouldn't do that speed down. Roads were dry, traffic reasonably low, no pedestrians, no driveways, no junctions, no mud on road or anything.

Oh well just gonna have to deal with it probably go back to riding bicycle if I can handle the power

seth

If it means losing your licence then fight it .
https://www.roadtrafficexpert.com
is a guy in Scotland (Richard Freeman) who can help he did for me when a camera van got me and it ment a ban and losing my job (6points and £1000 fine)
Costs £2000 plus vat but worth it .
The camera's are accurate and the pictures are clear but the police do everything else wrong when it comes to proving there case.
Training,certification and other paperwork is nearly always wrong or incomplete.
He has a 98%success rate.
I don't know where you are but there are simular lasers in the rest of the UK.
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

mikesaa309

I'm down in Northamtonshire, shall defo be fighting it if it comes to a ban such a p*ss take. Could totally understand if it was a 40 zone in a town or during the actual road work section of the dual carriageway but in that section it's hardly anymore dangerous than it normally is with national speed limit.

Clearly just for money making, people can tell me otherwise but the fact you can get fined and have points for doing 1 mph over the speed limit shows otherwise. No way is 1 mph so much more dangerous than doing the limit. Also there's no need to fine or give points to people who are less than 5 mph over the limit, just a warning will do. I'm not sure why the law has the idea that speeding kills, go do 200 mph on the salt plains and you'll be alright. The problem comes when people go way too fast for the conditions and/or don't anticipate danger and slow down when needed such as by junctions I always slow down regardless of the speed I was doing prior in case anyone is waiting to pull out. It's the lack of common sense that causes accidents, speed just decides the seriousness of the crash. I wasn't doing a wheelie, I had both hands on handle bars, wasn't weaving in and out of traffic and was in full control of the bike why does going over the speed limit make me dangerous and possibly facing a ban? Sure if I was doing over 80 odd then different story but I wanted to pass traffic in the slow lane and I don't like sitting next to traffic as to me that is more dangerous than speeding to quickly get past them not that the law will understand that.

In fact one time down the A14 (dual carriageway) I was doing the speed limit and was overtaking a lorry in the middle lane that was doing 60 and he was overtaking a slower lorry that was in the left most lane. Well the lorry on the left saw signs saying that the lane he'd be on would become a slip road albeit not for another mile and he panicked and started moving over into the middle lane so the lorry in the middle lane had to move into my lane and because I wasn't going fast enough to get past quickly I was nearly crushed by the lorry. Luckily the GSX pulls quick in top gear so whacked the throttle open and went over the limit to get past. Which one is more dangerous?

Mister Fishfinger

I'm no expert but I thought you only get an automatic ban if you are 30 or more over the limit. So you might not get one for 66 in a 40, just a fine and some points.

Andre

Awaiting
Quote from: seth on Sunday, 19 May  2019, 02:57 AM
The camera's are accurate and the pictures are clear but the police do everything else wrong when it comes to proving there case.
Training,certification and other paperwork is nearly always wrong or incomplete.

In a few months a court here (Germany) may decide that thousands of cameras (probably most of them) are illegal as they do not store the raw data and thus make it impossible to prove that the measurement was correctly taken.

Notty

Quote from: Mister Fishfinger on Sunday, 19 May  2019, 03:17 AM
I'm no expert but I thought you only get an automatic ban if you are 30 or more over the limit. So you might not get one for 66 in a 40, just a fine and some points.
50% over the limit = auto ban  :bugga:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

mikesaa309

tbf could be either 6 points or disqualification. Just hope if I do get banned that it's for less than 56 days else I'd have to retake bike test.  :frustrated:

GSXKING

Fight it no matter what, these revenue raising devices are not saving lives it's all about the $$$$$$. Bloody nanny states that say a few over the limit is dangerous are just money grabbing bastards. Rant over.  :cheers: :cheers:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

mikesaa309

I agree, people can p*ss off with the "it's for safety" bs, can disprove that straight away by the fact you get fined for going 1 mph over the limit, how is that any more dangerous than doing the limit? Shall be fighting it, I wanted to get past the high sided vehicles in the left lane as to be able to see ahead without them blocking my view, so I sped up to get past swiftly so I wasn't next to vehicles longer than necessary but still slow enough that I knew I could react and slow down if needed. 

Mick_J

Who said you were riding at 66mph Mike?  If it is your own speedo it probably reads over the speed by 10& anyway so it's more likely you were doing around 60mph, you could just get an invitation to a speed awareness course (unless you have already had one in the last 3 years).  Hope it goes well for you but on the other hand I don't know if I should be associating with law breakers  :stir:
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Sir Prancelot

Sorry to hear about you miss fortune. Suzuki clocks are not the most accurate, so you could probable be doing maybe a bit less than 60mph, in which case maybe just a fine and points or speed awareness course.
My wife got caught out on  the M25 by one of the speed camara when they changed the speed limit from 70 down to 50 "Obstruction on the motorway", funny thing was we could not see any obstruction. Essex police clocked her a 68mph, she got 3 points and £100 fine.
Anyhow good luck.
Sir P      :facepalm: :angry:
It's better to have been a has-been than a never-was!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk