Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Notty

Quote from: horse on Saturday, 13 July  2019, 05:48 PM
Gave the old girl a tub and blow dry another boring black one but at least it's clean now, the metrovac and a foam bath makes an easy job of it, got take the footpeg risers off tomorrow ,

Horse
you need to give it another wash its still black ! :)
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Speedy1959

Gave Sophie a service (as it were)..
Then for amusement i removed all the stainless header bolts and put plenty of Nickeleaze anti seize on them..
I suppose i may as well go on a ride out now....
:grin:

Bob

I bought Shakys GSX last week, spent a few night cleaning what I could, swapping somethings over and more cleaning, it's been raining everyday here so no test ride until today, fuckin hell  :thumbs_down: quickly back to the house to check tyre pressures, only 20psi front and rear blew them up 36&42, silky handling restored, no sure why I didn't check before I went out as Shaky did say he hadn't used it for a bit, so no blame on him. Even the Campbell's sound ok but not really to my liking, downpipes are horribly rusted although they might be blast able and coated  :onya:

ouch

Got rid of the horrible aftermarket indicators and fitted standard ones and also fitted a quick shifter and new rear shocks

DTTW

Speedy1959

I know the "14" isnt a 2005 GSXR750, but a friend with the GSXR (which he's owned from new) ruined his gearbox with an after market quick shifter..
He ended up replacing the gearbox... (£700)

Older bikes were never designed for quick shifters in my opinion..
Plus, is it so hard to change gear normally?

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: Speedy1959 on Sunday, 14 July  2019, 03:35 PM

Plus, is it so hard to change gear normally?

Not hard.

Not going to be a game changer on an old GSX.

A thing of great joy when factory fitted on a high performance modern bike and used in conjunction with launch control, anti wheelie settings, shift lights etc.

Down shifts with a an auto throttle blipped are nice.

grog

I enjoy changing gears. Only used one quick shift, couldnt get used to it. Not saying good or bad but i like old skool for me. 14 has a great gear change IMO, The old 2 stroke Suzukis had better gear change but probably because of gear oil in separate gear box.

Speedy1959

Hi Tony

Another mate has a BMW S1000RR with the factory quick shifter and yes its very good.
It auto blips etc..
But that gearbox was designed from the ground up for a quick shifter..

My mates GSXR750 is rather gorgeous to look at.. A limited edition model.

Andre

Hooli

I can't see a quick shifter damaging a gearbox unless it's setup wrong. They only do the same as a rider does after all -

cut the power
change gear
put the power back on

It just does it quicker. So if it's not adjusted right to have the correct delay between cutting the power & shifting, moving the shifter the correct amount etc etc then stuff will get damaged.

Will14

I have managed to get a good few hours in the shed today & managed to get plenty of tinkering done:

New EBC Double H pads to the front & rear
Refitted the wheels now that I have had the new tyres fitted and adjusted chain etc
Cured a couple of small leaks on the collector box from where the previous owner didn't to a great job fitting a new collector
Checks and adjusted TPS & STPS - Cold start wasnt working previously, it is now  :)
Checked the external fuel filter while I had the tank up & no signs of any contamination
Gave a quick clean & polish, even if I do say so myself she looks pretty fine for 18 years old

KiwiCol

Agreed Will14, she looks fine indeed, :smitten:  now the question is, can you keep up with the 18 year old?  :whistling:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Hooli

Has she got the wrong rear shocks? red springs are K5 onwards aren't they? Not that it'll make any difference to how she rides etc.

Will14

Quote from: Hooli on Monday, 15 July  2019, 04:35 AM
Has she got the wrong rear shocks? red springs are K5 onwards aren't they? Not that it'll make any difference to how she rides etc.

Yes, she had the silver springs shocks fitted last year when I purchased it but as usual they were seized, even worse someone had been into the adjusters. I made up some spacers so that they would permanatly be set at three rings then I came across this pair of Red Spring shocks & swapped them around

Cheers

Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk