News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

winter in a damp garage

Started by Notty, Wednesday, 13 February 2019, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Notty

Put the bike away at then of October ,before the salt went down. Covered with a genuine Suzuki breathable cover and it winter in a damp garage. Its the first winter I didnt spray any protector stuff and bugger !! :bugga:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Andre

That's upsetting.

Last winter I had to move the 14 to a damp garage. Put bed sheets over her. A few days later I checked and the sheets were damp and the ss brake disks had light rust. left the sheets off and now 2 winters without corrosion.

Mick_J

Ride all year round, that will stop it.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

grog

Blubber

That's pretty upsetting to look at.

looks like you have a last minute "winter project"  :mwink:
Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

KiwiCol

That's a real bugger Notty.  Give it a wash down with warm or hot soapy water, jetwash off.  Then the polishing can begin again.   

I'm surprised it got like that, Speedy used to leave his outside (covered) all year & he didn't get that.  Looks like it's been submerged in the sea for 3 months.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

seth

A good wash and spray with acf50
See how that comes up  :cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Mister Fishfinger

I think it's like Andre said - the covers actually make things worse because they trap moisture.

Mrg

I am surprised at that I've got the bike hide cover it's the one that has a frame breath vents and I do use the bike through out and I've never had that on mine 
look check and look again  then you see the fool

Hooli

seth

Forgot to say as disheartening as it is in sure a man of your talents and determination will bring it back to its very best .
Good luck buddy
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

shanered6

Ive allways found the so called breathable bike covers rubbish and find that the bike does much better without a cover plus you can see whats going on and rectify any issue before it takes hold .
i intend to live for ever or die trying !!

Gsx 1400 k6 , Thunderace 1000 , Guzzi stelvio 1200 ntx

Sweaty

That's a real shame Notty, but sure you will get it back to its former glory  :onya:

ARH

Have to say I only used a lightweight dust cover when the bike was garaged (at old house) and never had any issue.    Nowadays it is outside and have used the same dust cover with a weatherproof cover over the top when in winter storage... again no issues.   I think a lot depends on the humidity levels in a garage, but in my view don't use a big cover in a garage ... unless its heated with good ventilation! 

Basil Brush

I use a lightweight dust cover. But, still cover the whole bike - apart from seat, rotors and tyres in either GT85 or WD40. Done this for years. Never a problem. Comes up like a new pin every spring.

I do not ride in winter. Did do. Through no choice though. Now my 14 is just for nice weather.
He who laugh's last - laugh's last...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk