Help with bike lying up

Started by Suzuki boi, Wednesday, 13 June 2018, 06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suzuki boi

Quote from: seth on Monday, 13 August  2018, 04:27 AM
The front sprocket is at a very high torque so a pain to get off .
You will be able to remove the engine with out removing the sprocket for what your needing to do.
:cheers:
Thanks Seth.
Yep its a pain alright.
Had someone on the rear brake while I losses it but the wheel kept spinning eventually.
Grind the chain is the way to go so  :onya:

seth

I have a big power elecricly powered rattle gun the only easy way to remove the sprocket nut .
:onya:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

gsxbarmy

Put a towel in-between the rear sprocket and the chain, that will help, as well as standing on the brake.  Always worked for me, never yet had to use a rattle gun, but as a last course of action, you may have to

Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Speedy1959

Quote from: seth on Monday, 13 August  2018, 04:36 AM
I have a big power elecricly powered rattle gun the only easy way to remove the sprocket nut .
:onya:

I used a breaker bar with a steel tube over the end of it (total of 5 feet long) with a mate stood on the brake.
All I succeeded in doing was lifting the bike up off its centre stand.

In the end I bit the bullet and bought the same mains powered rattle gun as recommended by Seth. I could not believe how effortlessly it removed the nut.. I was literally dumbfounded !
Decent battery powered rattle guns are horrendously expensive so dont go there !!

The rattle gun I got as recommended by Seth is in the photo below..

grog

sorry Speedy, my battery powered Ryobi un does it easily. $129. have had for 5 yrs, wouldve undone around 2500 wheel nuts also. its my work tool.

KiwiCol

Would you post what the model / voltage of the Ryobi is please Grog?  That's a very good price, I'd like to check this out for myself - even though I've got a compressed air rattle gun, a battery one that's capable as this sounds at that sort of price is definitely worth a look.

@grog
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

grog

KiwiCol

Thanks Grog.  They're $199 here skin only.  Don't have the kit by the looks & buying batteries & chargers seperately is deaar.  Will look closer into it when I'm not at work.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Suzuki boi

Sorry lads hadn't had much time to really do much lately.
Got the engine out.
Attempting welding a but on with a mates welder but only managed to get one out!
Drilling was the only option for the rest so drilled and got the other 3 out!
Engine is sitting at the mates house until Tuesday ,when I'll lash it back in.
Noticed when removing the engine the clutch release housing is totally gunked up!!!
Managed to get the front sprocket off aswell.
Have bought new:
Fork tubes
Chain and sprockets
Headers and collector box(black widow )
Front and back pads.
Air filter
Oil and oil filter
So plenty to put on.
Will put up pics when I can get a hold of a device that isn't as slow as this phone!!

Suzuki boi

Well guys
Haven't been near the bike since September.
Decided to venture out and check on it last night,
Still didn't look great  :lol:
Spark plugs were full of water! :jack:

Did my first ever fork tube change last night.

Couldn't do the second one as I'm missing the washer that sits in between the bushing and oil seal. :jack:
Tried to put the throttle body back today but ran into shit with it.
Got it into place but can't seem to get throttle body to fit into the engine side
Can fit into the air box and tightened up but cant seem to get it to get into place the engine side.
No matter how much force I put into pushing it in it won't fit in.
Any advice?

seth

@gsxbarmy made a tool out of a thin metal plate to help get the throttle bodies back on with.
Not an easy job at the best of times harder when it's cold .
Good luck
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Suzuki boi

Quote from: seth on Tuesday, 15 January  2019, 05:37 AM
@gsxbarmy made a tool out of a thin metal plate to help get the throttle bodies back on with.
Good luck
I seen that thread from barmy , luckily I didn't need to do that and managed to wiggle it into place .
I have it in I just can't seem to push it into the engine side :whatever: it's all connected up the air filter side
I'll throw a pic up of what I mean tomorrow morning.

Hooli

I'd disconnect the filter side & try again. If you undo the mounting bolts for the airbox you get more movement. As the engine can't move that side is harder to get in.

A smear of red rubber grease (or WD40 if that's all you've got) around the ends of the TBs helps them pop in.

gsxbarmy

Quote from: seth on Tuesday, 15 January  2019, 05:37 AM
Good luck

Actually it was @Snapey (Pete) that came up with that clever solution, I just typed it up from the notes I had from the old org for publishing on here
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Suzuki boi

Gonna try put wd40 on it to try and get it in.
It has me stumped on why it won't go in :whatever:
Figured there was a method or technique im missing :whatever:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk