News:

Welcome GSX1400 enthusiasts !

Main Menu

Big Heavy Wobbler

Started by kanerdog1X1, Friday, 19 January 2018, 06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kanerdog1X1

The winter of 2010 would be the first strip down. Primarily to clean the bike in all the hard to reach areas, but also to do a few mods that couldn't be done easily with the bike in one piece.

I'd need to extract the engine, and I had worked out that it couldn't easily be done without help. So I made an engine stand that would allow me to drop the engine through the side of the frame. It would allow the engine to rest on nylon stops and the front and rear could be independently tipped to clear the frame.

It would use a pair of cheap Halfords scissor jacks to get the engine up and down in and out of the frame.

Looks much neater in black.

kanerdog1X1

Aluminium rear subframe. The following fotos will make it look like an afternoons work, but it took about eight weeks. this was because I had to out source the machining and try to get planets to align...

First I took lots of measurement. Lots. And started cutting, first the sandwich box, then the frame.

I had some mounting bosses made, half in steel to match the frame, and half in aluminium to match the subframe.

When I had the parts together, I hacked off the rear part of the frame.

Tacked together.

The half finished thing.

I just found These pics on the computer. I dont think I posted them before.

kanerdog1X1

There were other little adaptions to the frame, mostly to shed some weight. I got rid of the centre stand, and added some hose guides to allow me to add braided hoses for the oil cooler I'd make a little later.

The hose guides, originally designed for brake hoses on a mountain bike.

Ditched the horn brackets.

Most of the frame furniture that came off.

Sweaty

Quote from: kanerdog1X1 on Friday, 19 January  2018, 08:47 AM

This was annoying. It was a friend who thought it would be funny to get back at me for a practical joke by peeling a sticker off my bike. I forgave him. We have since pretty much stopped talking, but because of something else entirely.

He's not a mate if he thinks that was ok to do. Think I would of killed him.
Great work on the bike & thread BTW.   :onya:

Blubber

Thanks for reposting your modifications   :notworthy:
Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

Red Biker

Many a Donkey has lost its hoof on the rocky road, don't be that Donkey!

V_i_c_i

Top job  :notworthy:
And one question. End of the frame is modify (made from aluminium) just because of lose weight?

kanerdog1X1

Hey, no problem guys. It's gonna take a while. There's something like 45 pages of info to upload. I'll do it as I find the time.

gsxbarmy

Quote from: kanerdog1X1 on Friday, 19 January  2018, 11:32 PM
Hey, no problem guys. It's gonna take a while. There's something like 45 pages of info to upload. I'll do it as I find the time.

So much appreciated Matt, some awesome work (and works of art) which we can enjoy again. :clapping: :notworthy:
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

kanerdog1X1

Quote from: V_i_c_i on Friday, 19 January  2018, 11:31 PM
Top job  :notworthy:
And one question. End of the frame is modify (made from aluminium) just because of lose weight?

Hey vici, yes to lose weight. And to look good.

kanerdog1X1

Before the rebuild could start, I had been cleaning and boxing stuff up.

The frame went across the road to be powder coated in January '11, initially I was struggling to find someone in 'the circle' to strip the old paint off. A mate of mine Dean came up trumps.

A teaser of the finished frame. I was elated at this time.

The build proper started that weekend. Various stages through the weekend:-

The eagle eyed will spot the rear sprocket. Another sub project right there...

kanerdog1X1

The sprocket carrier was fun. I noticed that the studs holding the sprocket on were threaded more into the carrier, and that would allow me to spin them around and machine a grooved to fit lockwire to retain the nuts. Here you can see the difference, and the groove:-

Having had all of the studs re plated and the new titanium nuts:-

The sprocket carrier was next, bead blasted to get it clean, and masked. then powder coated satin matt black like the frame.

Then reassembled with a new supersprox sprocket. Not a fan of these, they are very heavy and don't last too long.

Another little project was the coil mounting brackets, in titanium, naturally.

kanerdog1X1

Next up was suspension. This also took about eight weeks to complete as I had to get things blasted, painted, plated, ordered... but it will also look like an afternoons work.

The dampers came from another mate who has his own suspension tuning shop, Kevin Bancroft. At the time ohlins dampers were not impossible to get, but certainly they were not available in the U.K. These came direct through Kenth in Sweden.

Stripped the forks down to component pieces, so I could get the various parts colour anodised. I had little dimples machined in the top caps also.

The lowers I bead blasted and had powder coated silver. Here you can see the bungs used to keep the grit out:-

The various parts back from the finishers so reassembly can start. The tubes back from being coated. I originally wanted them black, but they were too long to fit in the machine!

I made a little tell tale for one of the fork legs, much neater than a cable tie.

And also a tool to set the oil height.

And the finished legs:-

Fitted:-

kanerdog1X1

Right around this time the bike was featured in Performance Bike Magazine, in the readers rides section

kanerdog1X1

Next on the list was an oil cooler. This is my day job, so wasn't a problem per se, but I knew it had to be good because people were judging me on it.

The core was specially made for this application.

At this time I got the fittings that attach to the sump from HEL.

First job was to curve the core slightly.

And make the end tanks

Once that was welded, I moved onto mounting it.

The sun was starting to come out

Ha! In that last pic you can see the cable ties on the paddock stand, it was already annoying me, the rubber feet stopping it sliding freely on the workshop floor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk